Adult Speech & Language Therapy

General Information

What will happen when I first see the speech and language therapist?

The therapist will carry out a number of tests which might be formal or informal to see what your problems are. Following this, specific treatment or advice will be given to try to help improve the problem.

What kind of people does a speech and language therapist see?

Communication problems:
We see people who have difficulties with:

  • Understanding what is being said to them
  • Speech
  • Reading and writing (related to an illness rather than reading and writing problems which have existed throughout school and beyond)
  • Voice
  • Fluency

Feeding and swallowing problems:
Some people have problems with eating, drinking or swallowing. These problems might develop suddenly or gradually leading to coughing and choking and many other difficulties. These people are high risk.

How long will I have to receive treatment?

That depends on the kind of problem you have and its severity – it might only be for a short time, or, it might be for much longer.  You might be seen every week or less frequently if this is not necessary.

How will I get to the Eddercliffe Centre?

If you are given an out-patient appointment and have physical problems due to a stroke, for example, transport can be arranged for you.

How will I know where to come?

If you are an out-patient coming in an ambulance, the ambulance driver will bring you to the department. If you are not coming in an ambulance you will be sent a map of the hospital showing you where our department is.

Can someone come with me?

Yes, certainly. If you are coming by ambulance, please let us know well in advance, so that we can book an extra place on the ambulance if that is appropriate.

What do I need to do?

Whether you are an in-patient or out-patient, please make sure you have your reading glasses and hearing aid if you use them. If you are an in-patient and these have been left at home, please ask a relative or friend to bring them in.

If applicable, you will also need to wear your dentures.

Where do we see people?

Out-patients: Patients might be seen in the speech and language therapy department at the Eddercliffe Centre for either individual and/or group treatment.

Home visits: Some people might be seen at home. This is at the discretion of the speech and language therapist and is dependent on the nature of the person’s problems and their health.


A lot of referrals to the service are from hospital consultants and from GPs out in the community. We might also be asked to see patients by other professionals like physiotherapists or dietitians. Sometimes a member of staff from a nursing or residential home might ask us to see someone living there. And finally, any member of the general public can contact the speech and language therapist if they feel they have a problem with communication or feeding and swallowing.

For non-medical referrals e.g. patients, carers, nursing homes, residential homes etc.

Click here for a copy of the referral form

Once completed, please send it to:

Adult Speech and Language Therapy Department
Eddercliffe Health Centre
Bradford Road
WF15 6LP

If the referral is urgent i.e. an urgent feeding and swallowing problem, telephone 01924 816058.

To see all of Locala’s CQC ratings and read the reports in full please click the link here:

If you'd like to speak to someone about your Care Opinion posting please contact - 030 300 34529 Option 1