A health visitor works with families and young people. The main focus of our work is to promote the health of the whole community by helping people stay healthy and avoid illness.
All families with a child under 5 have a named health visitor who will offer help and advice on the following:
- Their child's growth and development
- Common infections and skin problems in childhood
- Behaviour difficulties including: sleeping, eating, potty training, temper tantrums and teething
- Breastfeeding, weaning, healthy eating, hygiene, safety and exercise
- Postnatal depression, bereavement and violence in the family
- Working in partnership with families to tailor health plans to their needs
- Immunisation programmes
- Drop in Baby Clinics and Support Groups
If you need to speak to your Health Visitor, they can be contacted via the Health Centres listed below:
Batley Health Centre 01924 351573
Cleckheaton Health Centre 01924 351536
Dewsbury Health Centre 01924 351506 / 351515
Golcar Clinic 01484 347876
Mill Hill Health Centre 01484 467619
Princess Royal Health Centre 01484 467619
The Valleys 01484 690355
Shepley Health Visitors 01484 467619
Skelmanthorpe Health Visitors 01484 467619
We also offer support to the whole family including:
- Advice on finding employment and benefit rights information
- Support and reassurance for new fathers about their role
- Give information on local support networks including ante-natal classes, leisure activities, mother and toddler groups etc
- Advice on options for childcare available locally
- Provide support for single parents and parents with learning difficulties
- Referrals to education programmes or support groups and other support services if required
- Advocate on your behalf with a range of other agencies including the local authority, education services, voluntary and charitable organisations
Immunisations - The NHS guide to vaccinations for you and your family.
Safety/Accident Prevention - Advice, information and resources for safety practitioners, parents, teachers and other professionals who work with children about child safety on the road, in the home and at play.
Toilet Training - You'll find potty training tips on each potty training step along the way; whatever potty training problem you might encounter ERIC offers ways to overcome them.