Children's Community Nursing
The purpose of the Children's Community Nursing Service is to enable children and young people with chronic or complex health needs to receive nursing care in their own homes.
We strive to keep hospital admissions to a minimum by working with families to self manage conditions and help and support children to lead a fulfilling everyday life.
We support children and young people who have needs such as:
- Respiratory conditions - asthma, cystic fibrosis, bronchiolitis and home oxygen therapy
- Oncology (cancer) and some blood related disorders
- Skin conditions such as eczema
- Wound care e.g. scalds, burns and post operative wounds
- Children who have long term conditions
- Gastrostomy & Nasogastric tubes
- Palliative care for children who have life limiting conditions e.g. invasive/non invasive ventilation
- Support families with injections
- Training and technical assistance with equipment
- As part of a QNI (Queen's Nursing Institute) Award the team supports families to have smoke free homes
- Support children with specialist provision in mainstream schools
- Develop nurse led clinics in community settings
- Independent Non Medical Prescribers
Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5pm
030 3330 9820
We work in partnership with families and carers and other agencies. Referrals can be made to the service by local hospitals, paediatricians, other children's community nursing teams and healthcare professionals, GPs, Specialist Tertiary Centres, Social Services & Education.
Diabetes UK - Diabetes UK campaign, offering information and advice.
JDRF - Type 1 Diabetes Information.
Asthma UK - Asthma Information pages.
NHS Smokefree - Quit smoking advice.
The Queens Nursing Institute - What the QNI does.
Northorpe Hall - A Mirfield based childrens mental and emotional health charity.